Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Stage One: Weekend with Grandma and Grandpa

      As I stated before, we had a wonderful, if not long, drive to Ohio.  Olivia's bladder cooperated and we drove straight through with minimal stopping.  I was so glad we decided to drive up on Thursday and and spend a couple days resting in Ohio before embarking on our trip.  It was an enjoyable weekend.  With no holiday to contend with we were able to just hang out.  We found out at some point, I believe on Wednesday or Thursday, that my brother Stephen would be having surgery to remove a cyst on Friday morning.  So, that morning Dad picked up Stephen's boys, Mom and I packed a picnic lunch, we loaded all the kids and bikes and headed to the park/lake.  After Mom and I walked with Olivia, and we fed all the boys, we left the boys with Dad and went to the store to do "girl" stuff.  More specifically, we went to pick out the finishing touches for a couple dresses that grandma is making for Olivia.  Mom has made her two already, and Olivia absolutely LOVES the dresses she makes.  As a matter of fact, yesterday she said to me "I wish you could sew dresses like Grandma".  Well, I do too, and I'm trying to learn, but. . .  there are only so many hours in a day and Grandma (my teacher) lives 12 hours away.  That night I picked up Chris from the airport and Mom, Dad, Chris and I all went out for dinner at the local Irish Place.  It was a nice meal with adult chatter.  We bought the kids pizza and left them at Mom and Dad's place.
        On Saturday, we had an awesome breakfast, courtesy of my Mom, who loves to cook breakfast.  We went to the bikeway alog the river on Saturday and Zeke ran while the Caden and Olivia road bikes with Chris walking next to/near  Mom and I, and Dad rode his bike.  Mom had a 7 mile walk to do in prep for walking the AF Half Marathon (that is another story).  It was a a really enjoyable couple of hours. The next morning Chris and I saw everyone off to church and then loaded up our bags and drove to the airport to head for Alaska.  During the planning stages, as you will remember, Chris had decided not to use additional miles and upgrade me to first class.  I was totally bummed.  He gets to ride first class all the time and I have never gone anywhere first class.  Anyway, Saturday night before we left, he got a message from the airline that despite asking to have his name removed from upgrade eligible, he had been upgraded to first class.  Personally, I think God had his hand in that. . . .  So, rather than remove himself, I was pleasantly surprised the next morning by first class travel to Alaska.  I must say, it is the way to fly.  The airports were so much easier without kids in tow, and using Chris access to the Delta Sky lounge was wonderful.  It  was the first time (other than when I was part of the crew) in a long time, that flying was an enjoyable experience.  After a very long day, we arrived in Alaska.

No comments: