Thursday, March 31, 2011

Guns and Knives

It has been So busy around here. First a little blurb about the weather. I LOVE hot weather. I appreciate seasons and enjoy an occasional snow, but I LOVE hot weather. That being said, 40 degrees and snow twice in the past 4 days . . . It's spring for cryin out loud. If I find that groundhog they will need to get a new one for next year. LOL. The only good thing about the cold is that it seems to be helping reduce the population of stink bugs, or at least keep them at bay for a little longer. The worst thing about the weather: we cancelled our visit with cousins coming to town because most of our activities were planned for pretty spring outdoors. Forty degrees and rain/snow does not make for an enjoyable time with 8 kids (4 five years and under). Well, enough about the weather

I went to the local homeschool meeting three weeks ago for the second time in as many years. We have been on plenty of field trips and taken advantage of the swim classes and gym classes etc . . . But the opportunity for me to go to a mom only meeting at 8 pm doesn't usually arise. It was a truly enjoyable evening and I was able to make a connection with another homeschool family (of 6) who are remarkably similar to us. We are so excited about future opportunities to get the kids together. Additionally, I was able to slip away for a couple hours this past weekend to check out the local homeschool convention and used book sale. It was not much but it did afford a wonderful opportunity to chat with some friends primarily. I did also check out a couple of math curricula that I had heard SO much about. I was NOT impressed by either. I am happy to stay with what we are currently using. I also found a couple more books to help me help Russell "appreciate art". LOL. My two favorite discoveries were: Thirty-one (not the purses cause I don't carry one but all their totes and stuff) AND this amazing little guy called Polly the traveling Frog. The three younger kids are definitely all getting one to carry with us on our many future adventures. Check him out at www.Pollythetravelfrog.com.

That evening after the convention, the flu bug that had already made it's way through each of the kids, finally hit me. I felt horrible until Tuesday afternoon (probably a good thing we cancelled our visit with cousins). Unfortunatel due to the freezing temps, rain, and sickness around here, there hasn't been much running going on. I just hope we can get a couple runs in next week before the opening race of our season ( The Race For the Birds --5 mile trail run)

We have all been so busy lately. Zeke is finished with all but his final research paper for fifth grade. He is playing a drum solo in the Homeschool Fine Arts Fair, and is officially an Assistant Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do. Only about 8 months from his Black Belt Test. Russell is still working out once a week with the football team, and playing lots of basketball outside to get exercise. He has a couple more weeks to finish up College Algebra and Spanish II, and then over the summer is going to take a Literature course to finish out 9th grade. He is excited to get his permit in a couple of weeks. I am NOT excited about teaching him to drive. LOL. Caden is in his fourth week of Tap Dance class and loving every minute. They are doing a routine to "It's a Small World". He is thrilled to be reading more and more. He has begun sounding out words and writting me little notes here and there. He is picking up more and more of the "Special sounds". I am so excited for him to truly gain the reading independence he wants. Olivia is anxiously awaiting Daddy's return as it is the day she turns three. Just ask her. She is more than happy to tell you all about it. Daddy will be home, she is going to dress up like a princess, have balloons and a ladybug cake and Macaroni and Cheese. I'm so excited for her. I did just finish Iowa Testing with the boys. I do this every other year for me not the state. They all seemed to do fairly well. We should get the results back in a few weeks

In addition to schooling, I have been busy trying to complete as many half finished projects as I can. I did manage to file the taxes. I have figured out what I have that I am definitely using for school overv the next year, and what I need to look for at the convention. I am almost done converting my Grandmothers photo albums ( only 7 of them -- I've been told there are more. Lol) to digital format and newer nicer photo albums. AND I am slowly packing up books and games and such to take with us to FL. My biggest hurdle next week before Chris gets home is to go through all the kids clothes and see what still fits. I already know it isn't much. Everyone of them needs almost an entire new wardrobe. Ezekiel has already outgrown the size 9 running shoes we bought him in December and is now wearing 12/14 pants and mens Small shirts. Olivia did actually go from 18/24 months to 2T and a size 6 shoe since last summer. Caden is now a size 6-7 and needs a size 1 shoe. Russells pant size and shoe size are the same (no growth spurt yet -- it will probably happen about month after I buy him new clothes), but with all the weightlifting he is quite broad and needs new shirts and new shorts cause he just wears things out. He is so hard on clothes.

Of course, all this brings me to the title of my blog today. The boys have all worked very hard clearing the woods and cleaning up the yard SO I bout them all new Airsoft guns as a reward. They played every chance they got for a week with them. We have two main rules when dealing with the Airsoft guns. No playing without eye protection and no playing with them when I am not home. As I was working in my office on taxes and did not want any interruptions, I took the guns and set them aside asking that no body touch them. I sat them all down to do school and left the room. A few minute later I hear what I think is a gun being shot and the muffled cries of pain from Zeke. Needless to say 1) they touched when told not too 2) they discharged the gun while none of them were wearing eye protection, 3) in my house 4) at close range. Ezekiel had a wound an inch above his eye were it actually broke the skin. I am now the temporary owner of three Airsoft guns. So having no guns to play with they turned to knives and carving walking sticks (and spears). Russell was the first to get careless and slice a pretty nice cut clear across the thumb of his right hand. It makes it really hard to do written schoolwork when you can't grip that pencil with your thumb. Then, yesterday Zeke came in with blood pouring from his finger. Seems he went to sharpen his knife ( it is the only one of his entire collection that does not lock in the open position). Needless to say, the knife snapped shut on his finger giving him a pretty nasty cut. So, the knives are now off limits. What will they get into next . . .

Tomorrow morning we leave for about 5 days at Grandma's house. I'm going to the Cincinati Homeschool convention for some serious curriculum shopping. Zeke is going to an arena football game with cousin Jesse to celebrate his 10th birthday, I'm getting to go to Dinner Theater with my mom. We are going to see Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. I can't wait. It will be do much fun just the two of us spending time together. Monday I have an eye exam. Yes, I now that I am out of the AF I have fallen back to what I know and trust. The same eye Dr I saw as a kid. After my eye appointment we are going to do something fun?? As yet to be determined.

More to cone when we get back

No comments: